Monday, February 05, 2007

UNLIMITED TEXTING AND AGING

With the advent of new technologies, it is imperative that society be able to adapt to these changes or suffer alienation. I am one of those people who tries and successfully cope up with this problem. But I guess, it will only be up to a certain point before things get out of hand.

A classic example is texting or internationally known as SMS. When this thing started, I had a Panasonic G-series phone (which doesn't have a caller ID that tells you the sender's name, just the number). I was using Globe Telecoms network (although I'm still using Globe up to now), and all one had to do was to pay the initial P200 fee and you're off to an unlimited texting spree, perhaps until one dies (that was then), and things change. A lot of promos and cellphones and cellphone technology after, we go to the present where everybody is complaining that Globe suddenly changed it's rules with regards to it's UNLIMITED texting promo. Well, it's hard to discuss about the repercussions of the change in the promo, but what I can say is, a lot of people has been enticed by the said add-on by these telecommunication companies, but for someone like me, a 32 year old father, this is not important anymore. I seldom text unless someone sends me one or it's really important to send a text message. Ever since these UNLIMITED texting promos, people now start to send and forward almost all spam or forwarded messages that they've received, unknowingly irritating those that receives them.

Perhaps there's a silver lining in the changing of the UNLIMITED texting scheme, and that is, less of those annoying, un-important SMSs. Happy texting everyone!

No comments: