Thursday, May 31, 2007

Foleo -- the Next Palm Pilot


We may all be fussing over the fact that the name comes with a tag line, "Smartphone companion". Yes, as the name implies, it's a device that will complement a smartphone's productivity, but it can also function as a standalone device.

If I understand the device's details clearly, then it is being positioned for mobile workers. In my profession for example, not all needs the full weight of a notebook computer, in fact majority of physicians, both young and old, uses their notebooks only for a few tasks, such as: Presentations, Word document creation/editing, some Spreadsheet work and of course checking emails and surfing the net. Heck most of us does not even use an email client, but instead uses only the available famous web-based emails ( i.e. Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail).

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but all these can be done by the Foleo. Many of you might say, the notebook computer can do that and much more! That's my point, the "much more" is seldom utilized. I always make myself as an example. Considering that I'm more technology savy than other physicians. I have a yearold iBook, at first yeah, it was exciting to use a mac, but after a while, the hype fades out and is left only with some aesthetic reasons. Some of the reasons I like about the iBook is that it turns on almost instantly (although it's more of putting itself to sleep), now this feature I like very much, I don't have to wait for the thing to boot up, if I want to show someone something from within the notebook, we don't have to have coffee first before veiwing the document. Take note, one of the features offered by the Foleo. Then I use my iBook to lecture (of course, I get a lot of ooohs and ahhhs on my Keynote presentations, but all those begins after I bring out my iBook from the bag) but then again, I can always do that in Powerpoint right? And once in a while edit word and excel files, and browse the web and that's it.

How about the "much more" in my notebook? Well, I seldom (and it really means SELDOM) use it. iTunes? nope! I have iTunes on my Windows desktop PC (this is where I do most of the work), and I listen to my music when I'm out of the house on my iPod. Hmmm what else, movie editing -- desktop! Then there's the size and weight, every mobile professional knows that size and weight counts a lot. Plus the fact that one has to bring the power brick almost always. I guess that's about it.

So, if I'm someone who will not be using most of the "much more" on the notebook computers, then I would, by all means, get myself a Foleo, smartphone or not. Besides, with our country's "wireless broadband" speed yet to be desireable, I would rather look for a WiFi hotspot and do my computing there. And don't mention the charges. Paying 2T on my DSL at home then another 2T for mobile internet? Now that's another story hehehe

No comments: