Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Resigned on Leopard

After convincing myself to upgrade my lowly iBook to Leopard (Mac OS
10.5), I never thought I was up for disappointment.

I always end up with an error saying that the "ESSENTIAL FILES" or
something like that cannot be found from the install disc. Which led
my iBook to loosing all it's data (good thing I did a back up before
the procedure), even my TIGER. Which means that I have to reinstall
TIGER after the series of failed LEOPARD UPGRADE.

Even the TIGER reinstall was tiresome. Because I had to re-install my
applications and the worst thing was the updates!

Then I found out that I was not alone (no thanks to the local very
"helpful" mac users group, all I saw was all praises for LEOPARD
without any hitch, YEAH RIGHT!), from apple forums around the world.
There were installs that led to bricked macs. The reason that they
are pointing to is the dual layer disc of LEOPARD, looks like, some
old mac (running PowerPC processors), it's optical drives, have some
issues accessing the 2nd layer of data from the DVDs.

Still, up to the present, APPLE has not issued any resolution on this
problem.

No comments: