Sunday, February 17, 2008

Kubuntu on HDTV, Finally!

I replaced my aging Pentium 4 CPU who suddenly cannot recognize a re-install of WinXP. So I decided to install Kubuntu into it. Why Kubuntu and not Ubuntu? Well, I've gotten used to KDE, because this is what's in Xandros in my EeePC. Anyways, I didn't want to throw away the CPU, as it still has a good processor, I think the problem is the RAM, a PC266 RAM, which is hard to look for nowadays. So, I said I would use the CPU as a Medica Center type of computer, I hooked it up to my HDTV, and because it too has an nVidia Video card (it's AGP so I can't use it on my new CPU which uses PCI Express), I think I can use it to my advantage.

At first, I bought a Linksys WUSB54GC USB Wireless Adapter. Which I can't seem to make it work with Kubuntu, even with the updated repositories. And since I only have 2 LAN cables running in my basement, this became a dilemma. I have 3 units, that will be using the LAN cables. Two computers and one VoIP adapter. So, I decided to move the LAN cable to the Kubuntu unit and used the Linksys adapter to the WinXP box.

Now everything is running, except for audio, I have to route an audio line from the Kubuntu unit to my HT amplifier, at the moment, I don't have a long audio cable that could reach the AV receiver, hopefully, I would have time tomorrow or this week to get one and I'm off, right now, I'm downloading HD content from Tekzilla and Diggnation.

Next project is to get a NAS to store all the media that has been downloaded to be available to all the computer users in the house.

No comments: