Tuesday, May 20, 2008

To iPhone or not to iPhone

Lately, a lot of my friends have been asking about how good the
iPhone is, is it worth buying or not. My answer is, it depends.

The iPhone is surely a head-turner. The Omph factor is definitely
there. But after a while, it goes away. I mean, yeah I would like to
get one but perhaps, not the current generation.

Weeks ago, I was in a dilemma too, as to what my new phone should be,
and I ended up picking usefulness against, form. Same with the
iPhone, if you're wanting a phone (PHONE), then get the iPhone, it's
very classy and the wow-factor is very much there. But that's as far
as you can get. Use it as a phone, to dial and converse with people,
because if you go beyond calling, then the frustration sets in. Why
do I say this? You see, the input option for the iPhone is mainly (or
is ONLY) thru the touch screen, thru the "multi-touch" that Apple has
been bragging since day 1 of the iPhone. That means, no tactile
feedback, but, again, if you're after the interface, then the iPhone
is the way to go. The display and the UI is very amusing and
attracting at the same time. Again, it all ends there. Because when
the device tries to guess what letter you're trying to press and the
errors are up there. And that's even if the predictive text is off.

The point? Well, the iPhone is a very nice phone, nice feature-set
but for practicality, nah! If you're a person who uses his/her phone
mainly for text, DIFFICULT! At the moment, ebooks (e.g. novels,
medical books, etc) cannot be installed. Applications are still on
their way.

For me, I'm definitely getting one, but not yet! I will still go on
using my Palm Centro. Maybe when they have a much better feature-set
that will suit my needs, then and when the local telcos support it,
maybe then, but again, NOT YET!

No comments: