Wednesday, August 27, 2008

HDMI now OK with my new Philips DVD 6620

I bought a Philips DVD 6620 player the other day, it's got a slim and sexy appearance for a DVD player, other than that, it's the HDMI output that attracted me to it.

But when I tried connecting the HDMI output to my TV, it's not getting any signal. Now I was paranoid, it's either the DVD player is busted or my HDTV is busted or it's the HDMI cable that has a problem. I called SAMSUNG's local tech support number, turned out that they will come over my place to check if it's the TV that has a problem, that is, if I don't figure out what's really wrong.

So I brought the DVD player back to SM Appliance center hoping that it's the DVD player that's busted. Good thing, I was able to talk to a courteous customer service assistant, she helped me test my unit. Lo and behold, the unit I got was busted. They took a new unit, we tested it and I took it home.

I powered it up and hooked it up to my HDTV, it works with the HDMI connection! But while trying on different types of media and file formats, trying to find out if the player can handle it (as advertised). All's well, until I popped in a Region 1 DVD, and it gave me an error format. Now I have a sexy and pretty upconverting DVD player that can only handle Region 3 disks. Good thing I was able to find a hack that will change the region setting of the player to all-regions. Now I can enjoy my DVDs!

No comments: