Thursday, December 25, 2008

HP Mini 1000

Now I am very jealous of my Mom. I gave her an HP Mini 1000 for Christmas. This is one beautiful netbook. The glossy exterior commands respect. The wide screen is stunning, the keyboard is to die for. Not all netbooks offer this kind of comfort for typing. Even if I praised the ASUS EeePC (which commands some aknowledgement for starting all these), the HP among the ATOM netbooks, has the prettiest and the most functional keyboard.

The size is just right and is very sleek, though the Mini Note 2133 looks sleeker, I don't mind the plastic casing, still beats the MSI Wind and the Acer Aspire One with the design.

The speed is acceptable as this is not going to be used as a powerhouse machine. As with connectivity, pretty good, with WLAN and Bluetooth. The hard drive capacity is fair with 60GB on-board. RAM is ok as well with 1GB power. Two USB slots available as the 3rd one is for the HP proprietary flash dirve. Unfortunately on the downside, the VGA out is non-standard, just like a Mac, one will need an adapter, but you have to buy it, doesn't come with the device.

The trackpad is bigger (my basis is the tiny trackpad of the EeePC), but the trackpad buttons are placed on both sides, unusual for a notebook since most are at the bottom of the trackpad.

The screen (as compared to the 4G EeePC), is, again, bigger but I noticed that the colors are a bit pale. Nonetheless, for the few hours I've used this machine, it's one great deal. I still can't say anything about the battery life, since I've plugged this baby ever since. No benchmark on it.

Will be updating the review as I get used to it. I will be installing MS Office tomorrow. Hope it will work.


No comments: