Tuesday, August 18, 2009

SUN Wireless Broadband Prepaid

Today I got myself a SUN Wireless Broadband Prepaid (I would like to give SUN a chance on the data side, because their voice service is not so advisable). 

Got it at the SM Mall of Asia SUN shop. I was supposed to get one yesterday, at the SM Bacoor SUN Shop (it's close to our place), but they didn't have the stock. Then I was supposed to get the SMART Bro prepaid stick (also at SM Bacoor), but it too was out of stock.

I already have two (2) USB wireless broadband sticks, both from Globe (a Huawei E160 and a ZTE), but Globe has no 3G signal here at Ospital ng Maynila, and I saw a Junior Intern with a SUN wireless modem and the speed was impressive. And the signal was strong. That made me decide to get a SUN (and to shell out P1850). I can't stand not being connected to the internet in a day (talk about an addict!!!!). 

Anyways, the new USB stick is a HUAWEI e155 or e1550 (as written on the box). And the box is smaller than their previous modem. The box too was funny, there's a typographical error on the description at the back. It goes "Sun Broadband Wirelss has the Most Advanced Mobile Broadband internet technology. Utilizing 3.5G High-Speed Packet Access technology on an All-IP network. Sun Broadband Wireless gives you superior mobile broadband experience. And because it's backed by EDGE/GPRS technology, you can access the internet even in areas where 3.5G is now yet available." 

It comes with a SIM card and that's it. No USB extension cables, no frills. I had a problem confirming how the loading system works, even the girl on the counter was not sure on the validity of the loads goes.

The USB stick comes with 5 hours of free load, that means, I don't have to load to get me thru the night and the whole day tomorrow.

When I got back, I immediately plugged the USB modem into my mac and here I am now, a couple of hours later, enjoying the speed and connectivity this little wonder has given me.

So why did I choose SUN? Well, my primary choice was Globe (since I have the modems already), but was disappointed to find out that only 2G signal was available here at the hospital. I was also supposed to get SMART Bro when the SUN shop at our place didn't have the stocks of their modems. I thought that it would be nice to have a SMART Bro Modem too so I can use it when we go to the province. Admittedly, SMART has a wider coverage than Globe or SUN. But that will be for another year or so, because I still don't have plans to go to the province anytime soon. 

Within the Metropolis, I guess having both SUN and Globe's mobile internet modems at hand will give me seamless connectivity. 

So far, so good with SUN here at the Ospital ng Maynila, I don't know in other places. Some of my friends recommend SUN, and others say, it's not doing good. But I say, it's always about the location. If I get a poor signal with SUN then there's always Globe, who has a very good coverage here in the city.

1 comment:

stephenmorphey said...

Few Wireless Internet Service Providers (WISPs) provide download speeds of over 100 Mbit/s; most broadband wireless access services are estimated to have a range of 50 km (30 miles) from a tower.Technologies used include LMDS and MMDS, as well as heavy use of the ISM bands and one particular access technology is being standardized by IEEE 802.16, also known as WiMAX.

battery chargers