Friday, September 23, 2011

SUN still tops Blackberry Plans in the Philippines



I'm a fairly young Blackberry user, having joined the Blackberry foray for just a couple of years.
My 1st Blackberry was a Curve 9520 their very 1st consumer oriented handheld and was reasonably priced. Before only the enterprise can afford a Blackberry. But with the market trends shifting, it was a good decision from RIM to "expand" their targets and include the pop consumers this time. And I guess they made the rgith choice not ignoring consumer demands.
I got the curve as a Globe prepaid kit, since I just want to try it out. It came with a free 1 month Blackberry Internet Service (BIS). And it that one month, I was hooked! Hooked I tell you! After that 1 month, I requested that the BIS on my plan be activated and from that day on, I've been using a Blackberry.
Problem is, it's a bit expensive. Then, it was P1200/month for the BIS alone, that's on top of my Monthly Service Fee (MSF). Then after a couple of months (I think) Globe brought it down to P999 a month and stayed in that area for years. Then just a couple of months ago, Globe brought that price to P599/month. Pretty aggressive marketing mind you.
Here in the Philippines, there are 3 networks that offer Blackberry Plans...Globe Telecom, Smart Communications and Sun Cellular. Everything was pretty the same until mid of this year when Sun offered the BEST Blackberry plan to date. One only has to pay, P999 a month, and that's it! P999 for the BIS, for unlimited intranetwork calls & texts, unlimited mobile internet. Unlike Globe's P599 a month but still doesn't include the charges for calls and SMS. Smart I s better than Globe's offering since it offers consumable plans, but still doesn't beat Sun's offering.
The only thing that's holding be on to Globe's network is my number, since number portability has not been applied here yet, and the coverage since Sun's coverage is still relatively concentrated within the Metropolis. Hopefully, the merger between Sun Cellular and Smart Communications push thru to help Sun get a ride on Smart's nationwide coverage.
sent using Gmail on a Motorola Xoom

No comments: