Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Multi-Tasking?

Whew, it's been a long time since I've updated and posted. That's because I was in Tanay, Rizal. Yup, just across Joseph Estrada's Tanay Villa. The view there was breath taking, it's Baguio Jr. but nearer the city. To get there you have to pass thru Antipolo, Teresa/Binangonan, Angono then Tanay. But we didn't stop there, we were at the top of Tanay Rizal.

Enough of that, my query is that, I'm wondering why palmOne is bragging about "multi-tasking" in it's upcoming Palm OS 6, which they say boasts of Multimedia capabilities and is already capable of Multitasking. I find this very confusing. Why, would a very big and famous company, respected in the electronics and software communities for it's innovations, be so fussy with Multitasking? I know previous, up to the present Palm OS versions are not capable of multi-tasking, but I beg to disagree and I will elaborate later.

vs

I'm confused because, for a PDA/handheld computer, this should be a standard (one big plus for PocketPC). Now, what's multi-tasking? As the word says, it should be able to process two (2) or more things at the same time. this is evident on one's Desktop PC (Apple or Windows). You can do word processing on MS Word while printing a picture and birning a CD all at the same time. Again, what's bothering me? Well, I have this new phone, it's a Sony Ericsson K700i.

Now this phone, again it's a phone. It can play MP3's, MIDI's and WAV's and FM radio signals, while I am texting or using WAP and looking at photos. Isn't that "multi-tasking"? I wonder?

No comments: