Sunday, December 04, 2005

Kubuntu - the Linux Disaster

I am a very optimistic guy, I always leave an open mind with regards to everything, you know, always give the benefit of the doubt. When I heard about the open source community a few years back, I told myself that I would give it a try, after all, they are all promising a lot of things against the friendlyness of Windows. But after a few years of monitoring the open-source community, I realized how technical one has to be to use Linux. Yeah it's stable and whatnot, but then again, how about those who wanted ease of use from their PC's. Just recently, I asked a friend to give me a copy of one of those Linux releases, the KUBUNTU (where do they get these names?!). Anyways, since I've got a lot of unused and old hardware, I decided to install KUBUNTU into one of these systems since I've heard that even with minimal hardware, with Linux, one can still appreciate the functionalities of the latest computer models.

INSTALLATION: from the forums I've read, it says that installation is not as long as installing Windows, but then again, I proved them wrong. My KUBUNTU installation took me a little more than 2 hours (heck I have to postpone my dinner party just because I don't want to leave the installation process). When I finally got it installed, I was hoping that it would be fast, but then again, it was too slow for me, giving in the factor that my system was old, it was still slow. Then came the part that I have to install some programs, the first thing I wanted was to surf the net. You know, try it out in the real world. I liked the interface, very eye-candy and cute. The web-browser that came with it, KONQUEROR, was just like Firefox (both uses the same Mozilla kernel), tabbed borwsing and all, but it lacks some plug-ins, like Macromedia's Flash Player. So I downloaded the plug-in and when I tried to double-click it to install, it doesn't budge. Here started my woes. Little that I know, that in Linux, one has to know how to use the CLI or the command prompt. SHIT! When I played with it for say, around 2 hours, I finally knew some commands and tried to install the plug-in again, but this time, it tells me that something in there is having a conflict with one of the components of the plug-in, and when I tried to just cut and paste the files to the supposed directory, DAMN, I couldn't find where the file system is.

As you can see, I've given Linux a chance and my verdict is...I DON'T LIKE IT! Until, perhaps, these Linux people made using Linux more simple, then perhaps, I would give it another chance. But until then, I would probably stick it out with WINDOWS.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did you just say you were trying to use KDE on old hardware!?!?! Kubuntu is the worst Linux I've ever seen...try something else. If you are using old hardware try Xubuntu.