Friday, April 14, 2006

The Daet Project! 

I've blogged about the surplus computers from Japan that my brother-in-law sent me a couple of months back. These are all AMD K-6's ranging from 400 to 500 MHz boxes. Well, by just upgrading the RAM and HDD I was able to make use of these old machines. One I made as a 24/7 torrent/download machine/server and one I set-up for the kids, totally stripped-down for their convenience. Then there's two of these machines set for my In-law's house in DAET, CAMARINES NORTE. I installed both machines to be used as an internet machine primarily, coupled with a DIGITEL Netvantage DSL subscription. I was afraid that only one would be useable online because they might not be able to afford a router at this time (and I do not intend to leave my Linksys WRT54GC Compact Wireless router here), fortunately though that the PROLINK Hurricane 9000 that came with the DIGITEL subscription is a Modem router without the router function disabled (how thoughtful of DIGITEL). But it only has one ethernet port and one USB port (the technician that installed it said that I have to call DIGITEL customer service to get hold of the USB drivers, fortunately I am resourceful enough to download the need drivers), so I plugged one box to the USB and the other with the ethernet cable, but when I tried it, the one attached to the ethernet port is not sending but can recieve data from the router, the NIC cards were in compatible size-wise, so I decided to switch their places and now, it's running smoothly.

No comments: