Thursday, April 13, 2006

Digitel DSL service

Yesterday was a wonderful day to me as DSL was installed in my in-law's place in DAET, CAMARINES NORTE, courtesy of DIGITEL's NETVANTAGE. What's good about it is the prompt service and courteous employees. I don't know if it holds true with other DSL service providers, but DIGITEL rehabilitated the whole wirings in the house a day before they installed the ADSL MODEM. Although, I could say that GLOBELINES' technicians did ask me if the wires in my house were ok ( but I think they should have inspected it just the same, but then again, it's another story ). A PROLINK HURRICANE 9000 ADSL modem was installed, although I might say that I don't think it's a brand new unit. The technician has 2 units in his backpack and none of it were in a box. It even has dusts on the cravices of the design, although the power adapter, the phone filter, the telephone cable and the ethernet cables were new. I asked the technician up front if the modem has the router function disabled and he said NO, good thing for me because the unit has 2 ports, one ethernet and the other USB. He did not tell me any username or password for the service. When he left, I started my naughtiness and installed my LINKSYS WRT54GC compact wireless router. Hoping that nothing would go wrong, and that manually setting it up is out of the solution since the technician did not give me any username and password and I was not able to enter the web interfaced modem set up since the default username and password for the modem has been changed, I popped the LINKSYS CD in the bay and left it to do it's work, and in a couple of minutes or so, it has detected the right settings and gave me a go signal to surf the net. I immediately opened a INTERNET EXPLORER in the desktop PC and pointed to THE FIREFOX HOMEPAGE. Then I booted up my VAIO notebook to see if the wireless component works and it does! Now, I'm using my iBook to write this blog using the BLOGGER widget.

No comments: