Sunday, September 17, 2006

Installing Windows Vista Beta

Ok, I know, but the GEEK in me had to do it. I am planning of upgrading my 20GB hard drive in a couple of days, and since I've already sentenced my files and programs their untimely demise, might as well play around while waiting for that final urge to get a new hard drive.

I've installed Windows VISTA beta 2 on my desktop PC. I made sure I am ready to encounter bugs and stressors along the way, but then again it's still beta right.

First off, my VISTA is AERO-less, since the built in video graphics card of my motherboard is not VISTA-compatible. Well, it's only AERO that I'll miss. Then after the quite "quick" installation process, then starts the "re-installation" of my apps and drivers. Was able to install almost all except for my Bluetooth dongle which VISTA forcefully shuts down and NO drivers where available on the net. Speaking of missing drivers, there are no AVG Free VISTA compatible apps. So I have to do with Computer Associates' EZ Trust for the meantime. Though Palm Desktop installed without a hitch, it can't seem to recognize my Palm Zire 72 and the iTunes shortcut icon seem to have wondered away, all I can see on my desktop is the generic icon of windows. Then there was the annoying NOTIFICATION feature of VISTA. Everytime a software would do something, VISTA would ask or inform me about it and would ask if the process is permitted. Heck even the moving of an icon to the Trash Bin is being confirmed.

Then when I tried to re-map my Documents folder to the other internal HDD, yeah it re-mapped it but that's about it. It re-mapped only the Documents folder but not it's sub-directory. So when I thought that the Music folder is within Documents and I started to copy all my music files into it, the shock that I felt was unexplainable as my HDD got full of the mp3 files. Heck I found out that I still have to manually re-map that Music folder for it not to save in my OS HDD.

No comments: