Friday, September 15, 2006

Buggy iTunes 7

Right after it was announce and available in the Apple website, I downloaded the new iTunes 7 to both my PC and Mac. And of course, coupled with that, I immediately tried to update my 5G iPod with the new firmware hoping to increase my battery life, but most importantly, I wanted to personally find out if the new firmware will include the new "search" function of the new generations of iPod and iPod Nanos.

Since most of my music library is in my Windows PC Desktop, I decided to update my iPod in Windows (also because my iPod is configured to sync with my Windows Desktop). The first problem I encountered, after plugging my iPod into the USB port is, iTunes DID NOT recognize the iPod, so I pulled it out and plugged it again but this time, I closed the iTunes program. This time, my iPod was detected. So I proceeded and clicked the UPDATE button, after a minute or so, an error popped-out telling me that there are some errors in my iPod. Shit! I tried it again without closing iTunes and just like the first problem, iTunes did not launch automatically and thus my iPod was NOT detected again. So I decided to use my Mac, and with iTunes 7 installed, it did not detect my iPod, after some pulling out and plugging in again it finally detected my iPod and said that the software needs some updating. Of course I clicked yes and waited, then another error. I decided to go the RESTORE option and luckily (again) it went ok. Now I have the new firmware in my 5G iPod. I pulled it out from the Mac and plugged it in again in my WinBox to restore the music files lost during the "restoration" of the firmware. Yup the Windows iTunes 7 can now detect my iPod and updating went on. After some time (around 1600++ mp3's), I yanked it out from the USB port to check the improvements. NO SEARCH option!!!!! My Video Podcasts were not synchronized!!!! That is still up to now!!!! How buggy can one get?!!!!

No comments: