Saturday, May 05, 2007

No more Ad-Aware on Google Pack

As I recently went back to Windows XP from Windows Vista, I one by one downloaded the applications "essential" for a Windows desktop to work, and one of these software is an Anti-spyware program. Before my short-lived migration to Vista, I was using Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, which was also part of Google Pack. On Windows Vista, I was using Microsoft's own Windows Defender. Now that I'm back to XP, I was surprised to see that Ad-Aware has been replaced in Google Pack with SpyDoctor.

As a standalone application, SpyDoctor is not free. But if you download it from Google Pack, one gets a starter edition, that almost has the same properties as the paid version. Maybe I'm going to try it out for a while, and if I'm not satisfied, I might try out, AVG's Free Anti-spyware program. Now, if you're going to ask why it seems that I have confidence on AVG's software, well, that's just for the fact that I am an avid AVG Free Anti-virus user (who isn't) and that I am very well satisfied with it's performance, never had a viral infection in my desktop ever since.

No comments: