Saturday, August 25, 2007

Forum Attitude? Respect? Rude?

I am a member of at least 4 major tech forums in the country. I have been a part of the tech community even before the they all switched to the "forum" mode from the ever reliable Yahoo! Groups.

Although there seems to be progress in moving from an email list to a "forum-specific" website, there's seems to be less progress in the attitude of most posters.

There are "moderated" forums, and there are public forums, and there are moderated-public forums. Yeah I know, it's confusing. Try going into some of these forums and you'll see what I mean. An innocent post can become an insulting discussion which can span several pages which can equate to several hours to days to months of unending exchange of righteousness.

What puzzles me, just like the "conversation" in this thread from a local user's group, some posters would "virtually" insult (but most of them will just tell you that they're just being "frank" and "straightforward") the initial poster. I would say, rather than calling it "straightforward", more like, RUDE!

Claiming they want "quality" postings, why then can't they reply or answer politely. But with AIRHEADS who think they know everything just because he/she has some "authority" in the forum, I guess that's too difficult to do.

What do you think?

1 comment:

diamondgirl said...

If someone has a high number of posts, they obviously have been around a while. Most board members have very intelligent strong, thought provoking comments. What happens when you offer another point of view or another slant, you get the gang flame!

I have been a member of 2 boards. Often time discussing hot topics such as religion and race issues. My views although very conservative come across to some members as liberal. Without ever using foul language and only pointing out other posters attitudes I have been singled out by most board members as argumentive.

I am on a quest to find out just what is the typical personality that stays on forums most of their free time. IMO they are insecure individuals that find it difficult to voice their opinions in public. With the insecurity comes a huge low self esteem, marital problems, sexual problems, relationship issues and a host of other things.

If someone can offer a website that supports my opinion or blows it away, please post.