Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Motorola Xoom Ice Cream Sandwich Update

I've been expecting this since ICS was announced. Last week, Motorola sent an email to Xoom Wifi owners that are members of the Xoom support forum that Motorola will conduct a "project" involving the device and it's owners. The project turned out to be private beta testers for the release build of Ice Cream Sandwich. The "project" was started at the end of the week, to span the whole weekend to test the build for any problems that users might encounter. This is a pretty quick test really.

Expecting that this is really ICS, I kept on check for any updates over the weekend (although I'm not part of the private beta testers), hoping to catch an update. No news either was being put out on when the real update will come out. Early this afternoon, I was wondering why my internet connection was a bit slow, since browsing bored me, I played around the Xoom and when I got to the System Update part of the settings, lo and behold, the device has downloaded most of the update and is in the verge of the reboot, though nothing in the download page says anything about ICS or what the update is all about.

After the install and reboot, the Roboto font greeted me in the installation proper, this confirmed my nerdgasm and a new splash sreen was flashing to my eyes. After it, my Motorola Xoom was new again! With Ice Cream Sandwich!!!

No comments: