Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MetroTwit

MetroTwit is a new Twitter client that is designed with the Metro UI of Windows 8 in mind. It has a minimalistic design that will fit well with Windows 8. From the twitter clients that I had used, and still using, I've chosen TweetDeck to be my default app for tweeting. Thus I will be comparing MetroTwit with TweetDeck a lot.

MetroTwit is a promising twitter client unfortunately, it insisted on being a stand-alone app, in a world where it is becoming more of a browser-centric environment. Some one using a computer, would rather have one application running and have everything he/she wants within that application. This is why, a lot of programmers and developers are focusing their efforts to web-based applications. 

TweetDeck started out with an AIR based app, but soon decided to go web-based, this way, the app itself can run on more platforms and not limited to a single one. 

After using MetroTwit for an hour and a half, I went back to using TweetDeck. Not because I like TweetDeck (I'm trying to be objective here), but because, after leaving the desktop for a short while, when I got back, the application slowed down (response). Although Google Chrome would also slow down when there are lots of extensions are installed, but once all fired up, Google Chrome or Tweetdeck for that matter will run smoothly. 

In summary, MetroTwit can have some followers, but I'm very skeptic as to how long.



No comments: